Monday, August 12, 2013

My Ability to Run

Last week I told you about getting up at 5:30 a.m. to start running, and I actually did get up and out of bed and ran at least 2 miles three times last week!  I don't know if you know this or not, but I actually used to run a few miles a week, and I mean a few.  I trained and actually completed a half marathon, it was at that time my weekly mileage was pretty high.  Running five miles a day was a walk in the park for me.  I was also in the best shape of my life.  But that was then and this is now, or at least that is what I keep telling myself.  Life got in the way of my running and there were times when I would only run a few times a month.  A few times meaning less than once a week.

Last week was frustrating to say the least, struggling to get 2 miles in during a run is basically starting over for me, it's depressing, but it's also my own fault.  I'm the one who let running be something I used to do.  I'm the one who gained a few5, okay 10 extra pounds because I would tell myself I'm too exhausted to get out and run.  So this morning when the alarm went off at 5:30 a.m., after only a few hours of sleep, I reminded myself, that saying I'm too exhausted for my own health is just an excuse.  So out the door I went.  I wasn't feeling it at all, but pushing snooze 10 times until 6:30 a.m. wasn't going to get me any more sleep, so I might as well get out and run.  I put in a little over a mile and promised myself I'd get out later today and do 3.

I've realized when you have a goal or a race you are training for, running and sticking to a schedule is so much easier.  I've been looking a some virtual runs, here, and will probably sign up for a few of them, because look at all that bling!  I would really like to get registered for another half sometime in the spring, a Disney half is on my bucket list, hmmm, maybe a birthday present to myself....

<3 Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment